Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Twitter: Branding or Vanity?


When Twitter was first introduced, I was very confused. What’s the point of constant status updates? I understood the idea because Facebook has status updates, but a website completely devoted to status updates just didn’t make sense. I’ve always been an early adopter, and love trying new technology. However, I was very hesitant about Twitter.

Then one day last spring, I decided to give it a try. I made my account, and started to, um, “tweet"? Well, it’s been almost a year, and I have less than 30 tweets. I just don’t see the point to have people constantly know what I’m doing.

On the other hand, I think it’s a great way for brands and companies to reach their customers. For example, my friend last summer worked with a local pizza company to promote their products on twitter. He was their social media intern, and would make customers aware of discounts and different promotions. Another example of great twitter branding would be Sprinkles Cupcakes. A few times a week they post a secret tweet that gives you a secret phrase to whisper at any store for a free cupcake. Now who doesn’t love free cupcakes?! These two companies are utilizing Twitter in great ways and expanding their brands, and it makes sense. However, people who constantly tweet about their lives seems a little vain…if I’m interested in something about you, I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment